I think it’s damn well time some jerk defines what the eff a “unicorn” designer (or really anything) actually is in an easy-to-digest listicle. BTW (bee tee dubs), being a unicorn has nothing to do with UXes, full stack whatevers, or knowing how to code the taste of soda pop bubbles into a carousel. They are not a new phenomenon. Unicorns have always been here and always will be… Probably.
THE TEN FREAKIN’ PRINCIPLES OF BEING A UNICORN
- A unicorn is above all indiscriminately curious.
- A unicorn has an overwhelming need to understand the materials the unicorn uses.
- A unicorn has no fear of saying “I don’t know.”
- A unicorn will undoubtedly follow “I don’t know” with “yet.”
- A unicorn is adept in research.
- A unicorn takes a thoughtful approach to problem-solving.
- A unicorn is comfortable with breaking 💩.
- A unicorn is laser-focused on mastering a specific skill.
- A unicorn is constantly exploring other skills to complement their specific skill.
- A unicorn knows when to say no. A unicorn especially knows when to say “fuck no.”
- BONUS RULE! A unicorn for sure 💩s 🌈s.